torsdag, augusti 03, 2006

Italian holiday

So despite a, literally, killing heat, Italian motorways, Venice in July and mad bicyclists I made it back from Italy. I have never been so afraid in a car before in my entire life. And coming from someone who's actually crashed with a kangaroo that's saying something (wasn't me driving when we hit the 'roo). I've driven on French motorways, actually not to far from where I was now but this was nothing compared to this. But don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming the Italians, I saw cars from almost every single European country on the motorway between Venice and Verona, the only ones missing was Ireland and Portugal and a couple of tiny ones no one really knows anything about. Roadrage seems to be a continental problem.

The heat in southern Europe has been murdering these past few weeks. Thank God for the air conditioning on our rented car. The hotel had no AC and not even a cealing fan so the temperature never dropped below 35C at night. I love warm weather and don't mind the heat during the day, but at night I need cool temperatures and waking up at 4am, covered in sweat, damp hair and no sign of a cooling breeze is not my idea of a restful night.

To make up for the warm weather and sleepless nights I had lots of what the Italians really do best; gelato. I admit the Italians do know how to do wine, pasta and balsamic vinegar, but the best thing about Italy is the never ending supply of lovely, cool, creamy ice-cream in almost every flavour you could ask for. The local gelateria in the village had frequent visits and the expression "It's ice-creamO'clock" was established. It was hard picking favourites but I think I got it down to five different ones:

Lemon from the Rocca Pendice Hotel in Teolo. Had it for dessert a couple of nights and it was food orgasm worthy.
Cherry from the unknown place in Padova, large bits of nice sweet cherry in the ice-cream.
Dark Chocolate from the gelateria in Teolo, darkest, richest chocolate ice-cream I've ever had.
Ruby Grapefruit from the same gelateria, an unusual flavour but I love grapefruit so it was perfect.
Mint from a hole in the wall gelatieria in Verona, real mint, not that crap "after eight" bollocks you get at most places. Beautiful.

Now I want some ice cream...I think I'm going to make some yoghurt & nectarin ice-cream.

/Mel

Inga kommentarer: