fredag, mars 24, 2006

My background

You know, to be honest I don't know why I'm writing this blog in English. I speak a few European langauges but it seems sensible to write in a universal langauge for everyone to read. Wich shows what great plans I have for this blog...let the world read my thoughts and marvel at the normality of it all.

Maybe it's a question of seeing how anonymous you can be online, how interesting one can be without giving up to much background information and details about ones life?

I'll give you this much. I'm European. Really European, four nationalities and five and a half languages kind of European. A left-wing, non-religous, bleeding heart liberal European with strange habits that the U.S. republicans warn their children about. Or so my American friends say. It's strange. I vote more to the right then to the left when there's an election but to my American friends I'm far to the left.

When I turned 25 (yes, I'm over 25, pushing 30 infact) I'd lived in three different countries, six different cities on two different continents. My feet itch. I blame it on my parents, we moved about every four year untill I was 13.
Anyway, I recently got a proper flat, a place to live in, for the first time in my life. My 20's have been made up of going between dorms, colleges, student flats and my parents house. The strange thing was as I went to Ikea to buy cheap, flat packed furniture panic rose inside me. For the first time in my life I can't dump my books and cd's in my parents house and take off for a year to where ever. If I want to leave now I have to give up my flat or sub-let it or put everything in storage. Suddenly I've got a kitchen table, a proper book shelf and ten crystal wine glasses. A friend cynically commented that here was the reson I'm still single. If I can't commit to a kitchen table, how on earth am I going to commit to a guy? I laughed with her but still....fair point you know?

But who needs yet another single in the city blog? I don't read them so I won't write one.

One of those four nationalities is Swedish. By the way.

/Mel

1 kommentar:

MrC sa...

lol ... welcome to life Mel ;)

"Suddenly I've got a kitchen table, a proper book shelf and ten crystal wine glasses." ... you'll be knitting in front of the fire in no time!

congrats on the language speaking thing! ... one thing i always regret was my ability to not work during many lessons at school (too busy having fun!) - i find everything so interesting now (you know, like history & languages & etc) - why do they try & educate people when they simply are not ready & would rather piss about!
I tried to teach myself Malay 5 years ago after spending a month out there - i gave up after a year (1. it was pointless - when the hell would i use it, the novelty wore off! & 2. it was hard!!)
I find that the English & Americans are the worst offenders when it comes to learning languages ... a simple case of; pretty much every foreigner can speak English, so why the hell should we learn theirs! - & of course, this means that they all have the upper hand over us fools!!

er.. i think i've typed enough ;)

good luck with the blog thing, & more importantly... good luck with the whole 'being (kinda) settled down' sorta thing!

cheers
MrC
(30 next year & only speaks English ... along with plenty of random & useless foreign words!)