lördag, mars 25, 2006

French kissing

Writing that last entry made me wonder why it's called "french kissing". I love words and the origin of words and I geek out on it every now and then so I decided to look it up.

Thanks to Wordorigins I learnt that the origin of "french kissing" is unknown but it dates to the 1920's and the idea that anything French is sexually naughty and that the French are sexually liberated. Wich makes me wonder what the French call that kind of open mouth, tounge tossing? Anyone?

I do know that in the ancient Swedish game "Russian Post" a french kiss was called "långtradare", an eighteen-wheeler lorry (the lorry is long and so is the kiss). The game included one person standing outside a room, knocking on the door saying "It's the Russian post, what will you have, hand shake, hug, peck or a kiss?". The older the kids at the party where the bolder the suggestions, including the french kiss. A member of the opposite sex was selected by random and the "letter" delivered. I tried finding out why it's Russian post being delivered but I had no luck.

I'm all geeked out now.

/Mel

Inga kommentarer: